Radius Studio offers a full service ceramics studio. Capable of firing up to cone 6, all of our clays and glazes are formulated for cone 6 oxidation/reduction firing.
We have eight variable speed, reversible electric potter’s wheels, each capable of throwing 50+ pounds of clay. We also have one Lockerbie kick wheel. Our wheels are used for workshop purposes and are available to studio partners (anytime) and others during open studio hours.
Our studio is also equipped with a 24″ wide slab roller, work tables, and a variety of shared tools available for both our monthly and hourly members. We stock 10+ custom-made cone 6 functional glazes, and a variety of Clay Art Center clay bodies including dark & white stonewares & porcelain. Clay is available for purchase for $12 per 25 lb. bag or $0.50 per pound. We allow the use of outside clay and glazes as long as they are rated for cone 6 firing temperatures. Please click here to review our full open studio policy agreement.
Sorry, we do not fire work made outside our studio.
For our members, we offer both reduction (gas) and oxidation (electric) firings. Our three electric kilns are fired regularly based on demand. Our gas kiln is fired once per 6 week class session. Kilns are available for firing individual pieces as well as full kiln loads. Students currently enrolled in a ceramics workshop at Radius Studio fire their first 10 pieces for free. The following firing fees include ^06 bisque fire, ^6 glaze fire, and use of our ^6 glazes.
Individual Pieces (^6 glaze gas or electric):
- 2 cents per cubic inch (maximum dimensions, height x width x depth; rounded to nearest 1/2 inch)
- single fee includes both the ^06 bisque firing & the ^6 glaze firing.
- $.50 minimum charge per piece
- firing fee rounded up to the nearest $.25 per piece
Full electric kiln rental for monthly members (kilns must be reserved in advance):
- Medium kilns (programmable, 7 cubic feet): $25 Bisque / $30 glaze
- Small kiln (programmable, approx 3.5 cubic feet) $12 bisque / $15 glaze
- Full gas kiln firings are only available to current studio members who are trained in its use.